- All firefighters employed by the city are required to complete paramedic training, and obtain their Illinois State Paramedic License, within 2 years of their hire date.
- Currently the EMFD utilizes Black Hawk College, Moline, IL., for probationary employee paramedic training. The program consists of approximately 80 semester hours of training, and takes about 1.5 years to complete.
- Besides regular classroom training this program also contains: Emergency Room Clinical Practices; Ambulance Clinical Practices; American Heart Association Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR); Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS); and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS).
- After successful completion of the above and the items listed below, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) issues the applicant a paramedic license that is good for 4 years:
- Successfully pass the required Illinois State approved paramedic license examination,
- Have no outstanding State license or child support issues,
- Present documentation showing that the paramedic will be working under authority of an IDPH recognized medical system.
- Approximately 60 days prior to expiration of the paramedic license, IDPH sends each licensee a Renewal Notice, which then must be returned declaring Child Support Status.
- By the end of the 4 year active license period, all Paramedics must have 120 or more hours of EMS Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to be eligible for renewal.
- At the time of renewal, the paramedic must also have a current CPR card.
- In addition to the above, the Genesis / Illini Medical System requires that all paramedics show that they have taken both ACLS and PALS refresher classes sometime during the 4 year license period.
- In partnership with Genesis / Illini Medical System, the EMFD provides monthly EMS training to allow employees a means for gathering EMS CEUs while on-duty.
- The East Moline Fire Department also pays the registration fee for other approved EMS classes that are taken by employees. An example of these are:
- Genesis / Illini ACLS
- Genesis / Illini PALS
- The East Moline Fire Department is recognized by the American Heart Association as a Basic Life Support (CPR) Training Site, under the Genesis / Illini - AHA Training Center. In this capacity we have several CPR instructors and provide this service to EMFD personnel and the public.